Though your dishwasher’s sub-par cleaning performance can be cause for concern, some simple maintenance or adjustments may be all it needs. Why is my Maytag dishwasher not cleaning as it should? A dirty filter, spray arms, or tub can hamper function. Use these tips when your Maytag dishwasher leaves dishes dirty to improve cleaning power.
Maytag Dishwasher Not Cleaning Like It Used To? Try This…
While a faulty part could be affecting performance, Maytag dishwasher troubleshooting begins with some simple changes to your use and maintenance routines. The right loading methods, water temperature and upkeep can make all the difference for cleaner dishes.
#1. Dishwasher Is Overcrowded
Overcrowding is one of the most common reasons for a Maytag dishwasher not cleaning dishes. When there are too many dishes too close together, water and detergent can’t reach every item.
Follow these dishwasher loading tips to prevent overcrowding:
- Upper rack: Avoid overlapping bowls and glasses and place them upside down and at an angle for better rinsing and draining.
- Bottom rack: Load one dish per slot and position larger items, like platters and cutting boards, along the perimeter so they don’t block spray arms.
- Silverware basket: Prevent nesting by alternating forks, spoons and knives next to each other.
#2. Water Temperature is Too Low
Hot water is much better at breaking up grease and residue than cold water. While some dishwashers have a built-in heating element that ensures water is hot enough, others may not. If your Maytag dishwasher leaves food particles on dishes, make sure your home’s water heater is providing hot enough water. The water temperature should be at least 120℉ for optimum cleaning.
If the temperature is adequate, try running the hot water in your kitchen sink before starting a wash cycle. This can ensure that it’s readily available for the dishwasher.
#3. Dishwasher Maintenance Required
A Maytag dishwasher leaving white residue on dishes may be in need of a good cleaning. Over time, dirt and food particles can clog components, restricting water and detergent flow so that a residue is left behind. Consult your user manual to determine how often to clean your dishwasher components. The correct recommendations are based on how many loads you run per week.
Here’s how to clean the filter, spray arms to improve performance:
- Filter: Take out the filter and rinse under running water. Scrub with a soft brush to remove lingering food particles.
- Spray arms: Unfasten each spray arm and soak in warm, soapy water to remove residue. After rinsing, remove clogs from spray arm holes with a straightened wire or pin.
- Tub: Use a commercial tub cleaner according to the package instructions. Alternatively, place a small bowl with 2 cups of white vinegar in the top rack of an empty dishwasher. Run a complete hot wash cycle.
#4. Broken Dishwasher Detergent Dispenser
A dishwasher leaving residue behind may also be due to a broken detergent dispenser. If the dispenser doesn’t open completely, or at all, a lack of detergent will leave food particles and residue on dishes. Examine the dispenser to make sure it’s clean and free of damage. A cracked, discolored or stuck dispenser requires replacement.
If the dispenser is working properly, it may be time to reassess your detergent. Check your user manual to make sure you’re using the recommended brands in the right amounts. Avoid using old detergent, as fresh liquid or powder is more effective.
#5. Insufficient Water Supply
You’ll find your Maytag dishwasher not cleaning dishes well if it doesn’t have an adequate water supply. What can decrease the amount of water? Just as broken parts can result in a dishwasher not starting, failed components can also reduce water supply.
If the spray arm is broken, it may not spin or spray adequate amounts of water and requires replacement. Similarly, if the water inlet valve is faulty, it may not open to allow water to enter the dishwasher. A faulty valve should be assessed by a dishwasher repair service.
Don’t let a Maytag dishwasher not cleaning dishes leave you washing them by hand at the kitchen sink. Call CD Appliance Repair for a fast and professional fix!